Friday, December 07, 2007

Music Paints Pictures

Many of the sermons I heard as a teen majored on scientific data used as evidence against a certain music style or beat. Although there may have been truth in those statements, they never really hit home because I could always find someone else who supported the opposite conclusion. Years later, when Sharon and I were taking classes at Northland Baptist Bible College, an evangelist named Steve Pigott preached a message which really made sense about the issue.
Music Paints Pictures (12.4 MB / 54 min.)
As you listen to it, be prepared for several things. You'll quickly notice that the speaker uses a good amount of humor. I can guarantee that you will laugh out loud at times. But as you continue listening you should also be prepared to face the real issue. It's not just bad music that is the problem; it's anything that affects our thinking in a negative way. As the speaker reminds us many times, "As a man thinketh ... so is he." (Prov. 23:7). But don't take my word for it. Listen to the message yourself and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Chris Anderson said...

I'm addressing the Christian and entertainment this weekend, Andy, and I'm hopeful this will help. Thanks!

Frank Sansone said...

Andy,

I have that message about every week for a summer that I spent as a counselor at Ironwood Christian Camp in California. (He was our summer staff evangelist and preached during the week even if he was not the main speaker for the week.)

I have used a number of his illustrations a number of times over the years.

Thanks for the tip.

momto6 said...

Hi, Andy. I'm trying to find this sermon for my son, but the link is not working. Any ideas?

Andy Rupert said...

Here is a link to the video:

https://vimeo.com/79827959