Sunday, February 10, 2008

UPDATE re: YouTube

For the past year or so, I have been posting home videos on my site. All but two have been hosted by Google Video. The nice thing about their service is that when I embed the video on my blog, they do not explicitly advertise videos produced by other people. That keeps me from inadvertently advertising bad videos. However, they do provide a link to their site where objectionable material could be viewed. Because of that fact, I was pleased that blogger now offers video hosting with no link to other videos.

The only problem is that good videos posted by other people are not always available in this way. Most are posted at Google Video, YouTube, or some other hosting service which contain both good and bad material. After my recent posting of several good YouTube videos, a concerned Christian approached me about the picture links YouTube provides at the end of each video. After one video, a link to an inappropriate video was recommended without my knowledge. This was not my intention at all.

My first step in resolving this was to remove all YouTube videos from the blog. However, it has come to my attention recently that good videos from YouTube may be posted without the advertisements at the end. With this safeguard in place, I will be occasionally posting good videos again. If there is a problem in the future, feel free to let me know.

For an example, click on this link and scroll to the bottom to view a funny barbershop quartet video.

2 comments:

Frank Sansone said...

Andy,

I understand the concern regarding the YouTube videos. That is part of why I have tended to shy away from them - the links to the inappropriate videos and the comments that tend to accompany them.

You said that you are aware of a way to do it without the bad stuff at the end. Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks,

Frank

Andy Rupert said...

Frank,

I found some good videos of brabershop quartets singing on YouTube. However, because of the video recommendations at the end, I was not content with leaving them posted.

However, I recently learned that there is a customization tool next to the imbed link which allows you to leave out the recommendations. That is what I have done.

For an example of one of the videos on my site, click here and scroll to the bottom of the post to see a barbershop quartet singing a funny song. You will notice that the recommendations are missing.