Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Deuteronomy, Parents, and Children

The book I am currently reading gives a lot of good advice, but I've noticed that a whole chapter can go by without any reference to the Scriptures. So, I began a search today regarding "children" using www.biblegateway.com. What I found was a firm placement of responsibility on the parents for their children's future attitudes and allegiances. Consider the following principles:

  1. Keeping myself right is as important as teaching my children (Deut. 4:8-10; 6:4-6).
  2. My attitude toward God will affect my children (Deut. 4:39-40; 5:29).
  3. Every conversation should point my children to the Lord (Deut. 6:4-9).
  4. Requiring my children to obey God's laws will lead them to a better life (Deut. 32:45-47).

If I want my children to have a heart for the Lord, it is up to me to lead them in that direction. That will take personal preparation, communication with my wife, prayer for us all, and time for instruction. While it may take extra time, the end result will definitely be worthwhile.

No comments: