Thursday, February 05, 2009

A well-prepared mind

I'm one to freeze up if I don't know the answer to a question. The answer may be in the back of my mind, but if I can't remember I may give a blank stare. The guys at work laughed at how I responded when an electrician brought back a Volvo for one of my customers. We had sent it out to have a DVD system installed. But when it returned, one of my co-workers asked me if it was one of mine, I froze and blurted to the man, "Are you the installer?" They still laugh about that.

Today's reading is apropos. At the end of The Disciplined Life, Richard S. Taylor refers to 1 Peter 1:13 which says, "Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (NKJV). Another version puts it this way, "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed" (NIV). That's a good way of putting it. My mind need to be prepared for action. Whether that be for spiritual or any other matter, I need to be ready. For me, I think it will take a daily time (or multiple times during the day) to make and review a daily plan. You know what they say, "Plan your work and work your plan."

No comments: