While reading Psalm 19 last week, a certain phrase caught my attention: "Moreover by them Your servant is warned, and in keeping them there is great reward." The last part of the verse is what got me thinking. That seems to be a truth that many people fail to recognize. Not only does God give eternal life to all who repent and believe, he also rewards right living.
Are there specific benefits that stem from obeying them? Read through the Bible and you will quickly see that God blesses those who keep his commandments. Take for instance the Ten Commandments. I am sure that you could fill up several pages with the benefits of obeying them. But just to get you thinking, consider the following brief list:
- Commitment to the one true God (through Jesus) leads to the best life possible (Ex. 20:3; John 10:10).
- Worshiping only God will keep you focused on the only One who can truly help you (Ex. 20:4-6; Lev. 11:21-23).
- Respecting God's name will keep you from taking him for granted (Ex. 20:7).
- Taking a day of rest will keep you healthy and refreshed (Ex. 20:8-11).
- Honoring your parents will lead to a long life and God's respect (Ex. 20:12; Jer. 35).
- Controlling your anger will keep you from harming yourself or others (Ex. 20:13; Gen. 4; 1 Jn. 3:15).
- Controlling your thoughts and desires will lead to good relationships based on mutual trust (Ex. 20:14; Matt. 5:28).
- Respect for other's possessions will lead to a good work ethic (Ex. 20:15; Eph. 4:28).
- When you consistently tell the truth people will trust you (Ex. 20:16).
- Contentment will keep you happy with what you have (Ex. 20:17).