Saturday, June 02, 2012

Great Results from Obeying God's Commands

I've been studying Acts 1-2 in preparation for teaching my Sunday School class. It's the familiar story of Jesus' ascension, the coming of the Holy Spirit, and Peter's sermon at Pentecost. As I was working on my outline, something just clicked. First, Jesus gave the disciples two commands: wait for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and be my witnesses. Secondly, the disciples did what they were told. As they waited, they prayed and studied the Bible. Finally, as a direct result of their obedience, God gave them the Holy Spirit and enabled them to lead many people to Jesus.

God's Commands → Our Obedience → God's Results

I realize that the results will not always be as positive as they were on the Day of Pentecost. There have been times when Christians have lost their lives for doing what God told them to do. But I think we often focus so much on the difficulties that we forget what God can do when we simply obey his commands, allow the Holy Spirit to control us, and leave the results to him. Let's study God's Word, obey his commands, and see what God will do!

No comments: