Paul wanted them to understand all that God had done for them. They were Gentiles who had no hope of knowing God, but now they were near to God through the blood of Jesus.
Read Ephesians 2:20-22
Paul used some word pictures to explain what God had done for the Ephesian believers. They were like a cement block in a building for God. When I was 16 years old, I worked on a masonry crew. Our crew built basement walls for houses. One of the first things we had to do was to lay a corner block at the bottom of the foundation. That block had to be in the right position or the rest of the walls would not be in the correct places. But once the corner block was in the right place, the rest of the wall could be built with many other cement blocks connected to it. Every Christian is connected to Jesus by faith. We are like cement blocks which make up a building for God. The first believers were the apostles and prophets. They shared their belief with others who also became part of God's building. Then one day we heard the truth from other Christians and when we believed we became part of the building as well. Like a mason (the one who builds the wall), the Holy Spirit puts each believer into this building for God to live in.
- What does a masonry crew build?
- What is the first block in a wall called?
- What would happen if this block was in the wrong place?
- Who is the corner stone in God's building?
- The apostles and prophets told us about Jesus. Who can you tell about Jesus?
- Who is the "block mason" who adds each block to God's building?