Paul had just showed the Ephesians how to walk through life in a holy way. Next he showed them how to walk through life in a loving way.
Read Ephesians 5:1-5.
Have you ever seen a comedian imitate a famous person? Some of them do it so well that it makes you laugh. Paul begins this chapter by telling the Ephesians to imitate God as a child lovingly imitates his father. One of the best ways to do that is to love other people. The Lord Jesus Christ gave us the best example of love by giving his life as a sacrifice for our sins. And just as his sacrifice was accepted by God the Father, so will our lives be pleasing to him when we love others. This is the way Christians live for God. But those who have no part in God's kingdom live much differently. They are immoral, impure, and greedy. Their speech is filled with filthy language, silly talk, and crude jokes instead of thankfulness to God. Should Christians live that way? No, you should not live that way because those who are immoral, impure, and covetous have no part in God's kingdom.
- Multiple Choice: Christians should imitate God in the same way that...
a. a comedian imitates a famous person
b. a child lovingly imitates his father
c. a parrot imitates a person's voice
- What is one of the best ways to imitate God?
- Who gave us the best example of love? What did he do?
- List the types of speech that do not please God.
- If your life is immoral, impure, and covetous, will you be part of God's kingdom?